Saturday, April 5, 2014

I Don't Know What You Know Me From *Confessions of a Co-Star, by Judy Greer

 Judy Greer is one of those Hollywood faces that you see in a movie or TV show, and immediately think "Who is that girl..? She's in EVERYTHING...." She's been in more TV shows, movies, and commercials than even she can remember. Personally, I've always thought she was cute, so when I saw she had a book out, I figured "Why not?"

 I was expecting more of a humorous autobiography, but I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU KNOW ME FROM *CONFESSIONS OF A CO-STAR is attempting to follow in the successful footsteps of Tina Fey and Chelsea Handler, and it's comprised of short "Essays" that cover various subjects and eras from Judy's life and career.

 I'm not sure what the finished product will look like, since I have two separate advance review copies, a paperback and a digital edition, and the chapters are in slightly different order, so the book still seems to be in flux. The early chapters are a fairly linear timeline of Judy's life, but after that things get slightly choppy as the essays jump around, so you don't get a real feel for when the events she's describing are happening.

 Judy seems to be a nice girl, so don't expect a lot (Read: any) dirt about co-stars or jobs that she's had. The question that you need to ask yourself in regards to buying this book, or ANY book that's comprised of the wit and wisdom of fill-in-the-blank, is this: Does this person have anything to say that I need to know, or anything to say that is amusing enough that I need to spend twenty bucks on it? In this case, the answer is no. I found Judy's stories to be cute and fun, and I laughed a few times, but I was also really looking forward to the book ending, because it was not really anything that I needed to read.

 I also found it endlessly amusing when I read about how she worries about feeding her family healthy food, yet she smokes. I'm also easily annoyed, so I found it weird at first how she continually refers to her husband as "Dean Johnsen" over and over again. Then it stopped being weird and started to annoy me. I was also annoyed by her constant reference to "Dean Johnsen's" kids as her "stepkids"...I get it. They're NOT YOURS, I get it, I get it. I'm a stepfather myself, and this sentence is the first time I've ever used "Step" in regards to my relationship with my daughter. Yeah, she was here before I met my wife, but I consider her to be my kid, and I would never say otherwise. That's just a pet peeve of mine. Like I said, I'm easily annoyed.

 I had a decent time reading this book, but I honestly couldn't say that anyone needs to spend money on it.

 Doubleday provided a review copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment