Thursday, September 28, 2017

Girl Logic (The Genius and the Absurdity), by Iliza Shlesinger




 A fun, if instantly forgettable, read.....

  Disclaimer: While I have heard of Iliza Shlesinger, I have not, to the best of my recollection, seen her perform.

 That said, I like to laugh. (Who doesn't?) So I thought this book might provide a few chuckles.

 It didn't. A smile or two, but nary a laugh, chuckle, guffaw, amused snort, giggle......nothing.

 Iliza is clearly a gifted storyteller, and I suspect a lot of this would be extremely funny if I were actually watching her deliver the lines, but we're talking about the printed page, and it's hard to make someone who is reading laugh. There's no contributor named anywhere on the book's cover, or in the indicia, so she wrote this herself, which is a good sign. She has a nice, conversational way of telling a story, and the occasional autobiographical tidbits that she drops are very interesting, especially the struggles she had touring with her Last Comic Standing castmates.

 That said, I found the whole "Girl Logic" concept annoying...It read like someone trying too hard to make "Girl Logic" a thing. She could have written a perfectly good book without trying to filter everything that she talks about through the concept of "Girl Logic". And at the risk of sounding sexist, I probably would have passed on this book if I knew that it was geared so heavily towards women....No offense, there's certainly room for books like this that hammer female empowerment through your head on EVERY...SINGLE...PAGE....but it doesn't make for the most entertaining read if you're a guy.

 I had an OK time reading GIRL LOGIC, but I wasn't too sad when it ended.

 Weinstein Books provided a review copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment