Friday, September 13, 2013

A Matter Of Life

 My Son Mikey and I love Jeffrey Brown's DARTH VADER AND SON book, so I was excited by the prospect of seeing what Brown could do with more adult subject matter, and I'm happy to report that his latest, A MATTER OF LIFE, published by Top Shelf, does not disappoint.

 A MATTER OF LIFE is less a graphic novel than it is a series of loosely connected vignettes about three generations of Brown men: Author/Illustrator Jeffrey Brown, his Father, and his Son Oscar. The stories flow together wonderfully, creating a beautiful narrative that is funny, poignant, and heartbreaking, and these emotions are perfectly complimented by Brown's endearingly scratchy art. I grew especially fond of young Oscar over the course of the book....My Son is the same age as Oscar, and I could totally relate to the way Oscar and Jeffrey bounce around one another. If I had one complaint, and it's really the only one that I have, it's that Brown's lettering can be hard to read at times. But if that's the worst thing this Crabby Reviewer can come up with, you know you've got a winner on your hands. Highly recommended.

 Top Shelf provided a review copy.


No comments:

Post a Comment