Sunday, September 11, 2016

All Star Batman #2

 Batman and Two-Face continue running an all-star gauntlet...

 I'm enjoying these REBIRTH preview issues that DC has been sending me on one level, and disliking them on another. On the one hand, reading books like ALL STAR BATMAN in a serialized format takes me back to my pre-trade-waiting days, which is kind of fun. On the other hand, it takes me back to my pre-trade-waiting days, where I had to struggle to remember what happened in the last issue. (I prefer reading complete story arcs, in case you can't tell.) The good thing is, this series has been pretty light on plot, so there's not a lot to remember.

 The story: Batman is on the run with Two-Face, who is being pursued by pretty much everyone in Gotham, thanks to a bounty that he put up: Free him from Batman, and he'll make you rich beyond your wildest dreams. If Batman gets him wherever it is he's taking him, then all of the dirt that Two-Face has on everyone in Gotham will be revealed.

 Writer Scott Snyder and artist John Romita, Jr. keep things moving along briskly, with the odd couple being confronted by a veritable who's who of DC Comics villainy. The violence is off the charts for a Batman book, and it's certainly not something that I would let my kids read. Think of this as an R-rated Batman film.

 So, my preference for trade-waiting aside, this is a good, solid book. I'm not much of a fan of Snyder's stories, so the simplistic nature of this one definitely works in it's favor. We'll see where it ends up, but I'll probably be aboard for the duration. Great action, highly recommended.

 DC Comics provided a review copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment