Wednesday, August 17, 2016

DC Super Hero Girls: Finals Crisis

 The Cartoon Network short subject gets an original graphic novel.

 My kids have been loving the DC Super Hero Girls shorts on Cartoon Network, so I was curious about how they'd react to the new original graphic novel DC SUPER HERO GIRLS: FINALS CRISIS. DC was kind enough to provide a review copy, which I shared with both of my kids. Mikey is seven and Jessica is thirteen, and they both enjoyed the book very much. It had enough adventure, humor, and character developments to hold Jessica's interest, and Mikey was thrilled that he was able to read it (pretty much) on his own. I got a kick out of it, too. The art, by Yancey Labat, is clean, vibrant, and attractive, and writer Shea Fontana does a good job of delineating different personalities and giving each character a chance to shine. I love the look of the characters.....the costume designs are recognizable, but different enough from the comics to give the heroes and villains a distinctive flair. I especially like Batgirl's hoodie, which serves as her bat-cowl.

 The book is broken up into chapters that allow each Super Hero Girl (Batgirl, Supergirl, Poison Ivy, Harley Quinn, Katana, Wonder Woman, and Bumblebee) a bit of a solo adventure before drawing them all back together for the conclusion. All three of us enjoyed this book, and I'll be keeping an eye peeled for more like this in the future. THIS is the kind of thing that could get kids reading comics again. Well done, DC.

 DC Comics provided a review copy.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment