Saturday, November 23, 2013

Plants vs. Zombies: Lawnmageddon


Disclaimer: I have only played the PLANTS VS. ZOMBIES game once, at my Mother-In-Law's house, on her Kindle. It was a cute, fun little game. However, my four-year-old Son, Mikey, is crazy about it. So I dedicate this review to him, and his love affair with Zombies.

 I received a review copy of PLANTS VS. ZOMBIES: LAWNMAGEDDON courtesy of Dark Horse Comics, and after giving it a cursory glance and deciding that it was age-appropriate, I picked up a copy of the hardcover as a Christmas gift for Mikey. The book collects issues 1-6 of the digital PLANTS VS. ZOMBIES comic, and Dark Horse does a beautiful job of packaging a fairly substantial collection (80 pages) in an attractive little hardcover for a great price ($9.99, but you can get it for half that at instocktrades.com). This would make a great little stocking-stuffer if any of your kids are fans. I'm of the opinion that anything that makes a kid interested in reading is a good thing.

 It really wouldn't be fair of me to actually critique this book...I'm sure fans of the game would get a lot more out of it than I did. But Writer Paul Tobin and Artist Ron Chan deliver a fast-paced, fun story (Zombies overrun the small town of Neighborville, and two kids team up with a crazy Inventor and his sentient plants to repel them...) that is beautifully colored and filled with enough action and humor to keep most kids happy. The Zombies crave brains, but there's no actual violence, aside from plants fighting Zombies, but the action is no more offensive or violent than your average Nickelodeon or Cartoon Network show. I have no problem letting my Son read this book.

 Dark Horse provided a review copy, but it was cute enough to make me go out and buy a hard copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment