Thursday, September 4, 2014

Earth 2, Volume 2: The Tower of Fate


I didn't review EARTH 2, VOLUME 1: THE GATHERING because it was bad. I'm usually more inclined to review a book if it's great or awful......books that are just "Eh..." usually get a pass from me, because I can't be bothered to devote any more energy to mediocrity. THE GATHERING was a chore to get through, and it offended my old-man comic book sensibilities by making The JLA, who should be the grand old men of the superhero set, into much younger people. I want senior citizens, dammit!!


 That said, I'm locked into the first four volumes of this series, so...I keep plugging away.

 EARTH 2, VOLUME 2: THE TOWER OF FATE was a vast improvement, even though I still feel total boredom whenever any of the actual cast of heroes is onscreen. Instead, I'm captivated by Steppenwolf, leader of the forces of Apokalips that devastated the Earth 5 years ago.....Steppenwolf is stranded on earth, and is attempting to build a new base of power from which to attempt global conquest again. I wish there had been more of Steppenwolf and the rest of Jack Kirby's Fourth World crew...the book does include a tantalizing hint of Mister Miracle and Big Barda, so that's a good sign. I'm actually rooting for the bad guy here, and hoping he gets the better of our bland heroes.

 James Robinson continues to make me wonder how he ever managed to write one of the best comics of all time (STARMAN), because he must have used all of his talent up on that book...he hasn't done anything even remotely good since then.

Onward to Volume 3!

No comments:

Post a Comment