Saturday, September 27, 2014

A Christmas Story: Behind the Scenes of a Holiday Classic, by Caseen Gaines

 This book is more fun than a glass of Ovaltine.

 I'm absolutely nuts about A CHRISTMAS STORY, so your mileage may vary, depending on your feelings about the movie. Although how anyone can not love this film is beyond me. (My wife can't stand it....I don't know how I hooked up with this woman, I really don't.) My mother got this for me as a Christmas gift last year, proving once again that she gives the best gifts. (My wife got me cologne...really.?)

 I was expecting a book that detailed the making of the movie, but Caseen Gaines has delivered a whole lot more than that....He gets very in-depth about the filmmaking process, but he also covers the life and career of the real-life Ralphie, Author Jean Shepherd, Director Bob Clark and the cast, from top to bottom. From there, the book covers related films, the Christmas Story House and Museum, turmoil that resulted from licensed merchandise, and the film's ascension to THE Christmas movie that must be watched at least once each Holiday season.

 There's a lot to discover here, even for folks like me who thought they knew everything. There's even a picture of the deleted and lost "Flash Gordon scene", which, if Gaines is correct, is as close as we'll ever get to seeing it.

 I had a blast reading this book, and I was genuinely sorry that it was not twice, or three times, as long. Highly recommended to fans of the film.


No comments:

Post a Comment