Sunday, September 14, 2014

Waiting For The Great Pumpkin, by Charles M. Schulz

 How jaded and horrible am I? I picked up this little hardcover sight unseen from In-Stock Trades expecting it to be a typical Fantagraphics book, which would offer historical context and behind-the-scenes tidbits relating the Charles M. Schulz's Great Pumpkin PEANUTS strips.

 So I was naturally disappointed by the actual product. It's a cute little mini-hardcover that collects four separate Great Pumpkin strips, and...that's it. No offense to Fantagraphics, because they didn't make any promises that they didn't keep...it's a collection of comic strips, and that's what you get.

 I was hoping for something that would put the collected strips in a historical context relating to the animated special IT'S THE GREAT PUMPKIN, CHARLIE BROWN!, but no such luck. Fantagraphics doesn't even give the original publication dates for the collected strips, which  was disappointing. (Sally does say "Welcome to 1962!" in one of the later strips, so there's that, I guess....)

 On the plus side, the collected strips are cute and fun...I'm a sucker for the really old version of Charlie Brown, when he was especially round-headed, and there's a little bit of that here, so I can't complain TOO much.

 My six-year-old son has seized my copy. "Review this book, then give it to me!"

No comments:

Post a Comment