Saturday, March 19, 2016

Rampage Jackson: Street Soldier

 I put off reading this review copy for a long time because, on the surface, it sounds dumber than dumb: A comic about a real-life MMA fighter who gains super-powers and fights crime...? I was having flashbacks to NFL SuperPro. I finally gave it a look today, and.....

 ...I actually had a lot of fun with it. RAMPAGE JACKSON: STREET SOLDIER turned out to be a solid, enjoyable read, with self-contained stories and art by some recognizable names: Fabian Nicieza, Mike Baron, Barbara Kesel, Marty Pasko, Tom Peyer, Adam Beechen, and Fabiano Neves, and pin-up art provided by two of my childhood favorites, Mike Grell and PAT BRODERCK (!!!!). I have no idea where Pat Broderick has been, but the man needs to get some more comics work ASAP. It was great to see some new art by him, even if it was just one pin-up.

 The graphic novel consists of seven self-contained stories that find the lycanthropically-powered Rampage Jackson and his associates facing off against aliens, Kaiju, evil corporations, underground monsters, and even his future descendants. The stories are short and sweet, running the gamut from decent to very good, and the art is much better than I expected it to be. I had a lot of (Unexpected) fun with this book, and I'm hoping that there are future volumes coming in the future.

 IDW provided a review copy (Sorry it took so long for me to get to, guys!)


No comments:

Post a Comment