Friday, April 26, 2013

Star Trek: The Next Generation- Hive

 I find STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION to be hideously boring. I tried, Lord, how I tried...I even ended up married to a huge Picard fan.....but I just cannot get into TNG, no matter how hard I've tried. I'm a Kirk fan, and anything after Kirk, Spock, Bones, Sulu, Uhura, Scotty, and Chekov is just a sad runner-up.

 I am, however, intrigued by The Borg, the spacefaring Hive-Mind that seeks to assimilate every race they come into contact with. (Kirk would eat them for breakfast, btw.)  Being almost totally unfamiliar with nearly everything presented in STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION- HIVE, oddly enough, did not present any obstacles to either my understanding or enjoyment of the book.

 Based on a story by Brannon Braga, the guiding light behind much that is modern-day Trek, Terry Matalas and Travis Fickett bring us yet another Borg invasion, except this one is destined to succeed. The story flips between the start of the current Borg plot, and its aftermath 500 years later, when The Borg have assimilated everything, Time-travel ensues, with all of the attendant time paradox confusion, but the creators still manage to tell a ripping, straightforward tale that sees Picard, Data, and Seven of Nine deliver a Borg ass-whooping that would do Kirk proud. The book ends with what, I assume, would be a fairly huge event (Or two...) in Star Trek continuity, which really took me by surprise. HIVE was a fun, accessible read, even for someone whose Star Trek interests start and stop with the original crew.

IDW provided a review copy that included issues 1-3, and I purchased issue #4 digitally.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment